This little piece was composed for Dr. Richard Boulanger's Csound class at Berklee College of Music for the Spring '08 semester. The criteria for this composition were as follows:
1) the piece must be started and finished within 6 hours.
2) only sounds from the Csound catalog can be used.
3) any host software and plugins can be used.
4) try to make it pop-friendly.
That's pretty much it. I used the following Csound instruments:
1) 02_01_7 - 1 Gather Amsterdam Catalog
2) 03_01_1 - 1 Gather Amsterdam Catalog
3) analog1 - 1 Mikelson Collection
4) bd5000 - 1 Varga-Collection
5) hihat - 3 Internet Collections/Various
6) marimba - 1 Varo_PinkstonDX Collection
At Dr. B's suggestion, I broke my workflow into 3 2-hour chunks. In the first 2 hours, I grabbed the sounds that I wanted, modified and rendered each .sco/.orc file to get the timbres that I wanted. Then, I placed all of the samples in Reason and keymapped them using the NN-XT sampler.
In the next 2-hour block, I wrote and arranged the piece and tried to make it poppy and catchy.