I'm in Dr. Boulanger's Csound class at Berklee. We're at the end of the semester and all I can say is the Csound universe is large!
This was my first composition using Csound. I call it burial as it reminds me of Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should've Come Over". We were asked to create a one minute composition using a note-list instrument. I've attached both the final audio in MP3 format as well as the CSD used to produce the audio. I hope you enjoy them.
First Csound Composition
Most of the instruments are Hans Mikelson and some of my own. I tried to create a dance piece building it up from the first theme which the bass line plays. Basically I sampled the instruments and opened them in Kontakt and processed each of them from there. This is what came out during those 6 hours.
"The situation — You want an instrument that can play any number of oscillators, determined by a p-field value in the score. The problem — Unit generators cannot be dynamically created in an instrument with a simple loop. One possible solution — Multiple events can be generated in a loop, with each event triggering an oscillator-based instrument..."
More at The Csound Blog
This tune was my submission for this year's "International 6 Hour Csound Composition Competition" in Dr. Boulanger's Csound class at Berklee. I took some sounds from the Csound Catalog, chopped up the audio files and made Kontakt instruments out of them, and sequenced the song in Ableton Live 6 (behind the times, I know). Inspiration for this song actually came from the soundtrack to the old Nintendo game "Battletoads," the score for which was done by David Wise (one of my favorite composers).
This is my first Csound piece. I used GEN10 to generate a square wave and play the notes in the score. Please give suggestions as I am new to Csound and would very much like to go further with it. Thanks!
This is my piece for the first Csound assignment at Berklee with Dr. Boulanger, "Denominator." I would have uploaded it much sooner, but I couldn't decide what to do with the piece: I wanted to implement Dr. B's sole suggestion for improving the piece by replacing the background drone with synthesized note-list instructions in Csound instead of a looping sampled loscil of a Yamaha VSS-30 and my voice, but I simply have don't have the time to figure out the right opcodes, the right concept, the proper way of implementing it at the moment.
This is an additionally edited (+ approx. 2-3 hrs. of additional DSP) version of my submission for Dr. Boulanger's Fall 2009 Csound 6-Hour Catalog Challenge at Berklee College of Music. It is a rather tongue-in-cheek piece of music, and an experimental opportunity for me to play with a lot of DSP techniques I don't often use in my music (glitch edits, filter sweeps, extreme drop-ins of flanging, distortion, harmonics, EQ settings, etc.).
A review of the structure of the 6-Hour Catalog Challenge:
My name's Francis Hickey and I am a student at the Berklee College of Music, where I am taking Dr. Boulanger's Csound class. This is my first ever Csound piece. It is a piece inspired by the soundtrack to the computer game Myst. Let me know what you think!
This is just a test of software that I made (probability sequencing language for csound), the instrument is off the csound instrument disk but probily isn't the best example frequency wise.. I will release some other stuff on my site (songs from executables in free basic) while I explore mml (music macro language) and try to recreate it in a command independent way. You can also listen to it without downloading it there if you perfer.